Sunday, February 7, 2010

Scratch Film Junkies

I was impressed by the short To The Beat, by the Scratch Film Junkies. It was a slow intro but I could feel where the tempo was headed. It is called the introduction for for a reason, it slowly builds up to the main tempo for the overall film. I enjoy watching cameraless filmmaking because it is constantly different and the Scratch Film Junkies proved it. Their scratching techniques are very pleasant to watch and were executed with precision. The extreme colors of paint on top of people is beautiful and adds a unique touch to the almost always black and white films. The soundtrack was helpful with the tone that the film seemed to be going for. I would think it was constructed after the film and was thought to the enhance the overall tone. The visuals are intense and the patterns keep the viewer's attention. Having Shannon's experimental class under my belt helped me pay attention and have a greater appreciation for the film rather than a first time viewer. It made me anticipate working on our own film strips and the possibilities that are available to manipulate the strip. Overall it was an impressive short by the junkies and since I've watched a few more on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment