Sunday, March 28, 2010

2nd Scratch Film Junky

I had seen a few shorts from the Scratch Film Junkies along with "To the Beat" and they all have impressed me with there precision and quality. However, "St. Louise" overpowered all the previous films I had seen. I have a great respect for the cameraless filmmaking genre because it takes such a dedicated amount of time and with film so small, it calls for precise strokes and scratches. While the whole film may seem random the the untrained eye, every stroke, bleach, scratch, coloring, and alteration is thoroughly planned before production actually begins. Their seamless animations which each probably lasted no more that 10 seconds consisted of hundreds of frames that would take mass amounts of time to produce for such a short viewing time. Every time I watch a cameraless production, they grow and grow on me more. You also gain a better understanding after watching multiple times. The object transformations in "St. Louise" were really sick and its amazing how somebody can animate so well with such small frames. The cameraless project Royce and I did came out mostly how we expected, of course it went by a lot quicker than expected haha, but actually creating it yourself makes me as artist appreciate The Scratch film Junkies work a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment